Do Click Whenever There's Ads :)

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Religion vs Science - What's The Point?

Be steady, people. Your.World.Pixelated is going picture-less as the editor is facing problems with a Photoshop-less laptop. So, enjoy this post, and please treat it as open discussion. Debating doesn't help. 

Viewers' discretion is advised. REMEMBER: THIS POST IS NOT ON DEBATING. 

This morning's debate between science and religion happened in Innit, and while bloggers like Nana and Danielctw were by my side, advocating theism, and to rethink on the age-old battle of thoughts between these 2 pillars (or perhaps 3 = atheism) of ideology, I felt that there is NO point arguing about it, for these ideologies help mankind to develop civilization. 


I admit that my clashing identity between a Christian and a Humanist makes me tend to go to the middle of the pillars, and not focusing on religion alone. I believe in the existence of God, and at the same time, I believe in the capability of humanity to change the world. It's nothing wrong, it's just faith.  


Matthew 25: 35-36 - For I was hungry you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in. I need clothes and you clothed me, I'm sick you looked after me, I was in prison you came and visited me.

Atom of Atheism (lowres)-ZanaqScience: I may gave in Science during my pre-U education as I transferred into the academic field of Communication (Journalism) and Humanities, but I have a sense of science. Science is all about collaborations and arguments on what is right and what is wrong. From technology for civilizations, to weapons of mass destruction, science changes the way we live, as well as shaping our human trends and social way of living. Science is absolutely nothing wrong. 



P religion world

Religion, on the other hand, is a series of philosophies told from various dogmas. It helps generate societies, and to unite men (to a certain extent). Most of all religions believe that there is a God that create a universe, and hence it was the Earth was made. It provides us the wisdom of spirituality, giving us an understanding of our world, like science. 


These 2 elements are all about understandings, however, when it comes to debating them, you will hardly stick to both of them, because none of their basis supports each other. For example, Galileo Galilei advocates the truth on heliocentrism, the idea of the Sun as the centre of the universe, but the Catholic Church dismisses it, and sentenced him under house arrest. By seeing this, you can realize that both institutions don't fit together. 

But then, I still view on science and religion both contribute to the civilization of humanity, just that our past and current leaders are corrupted. God told his servants words and advices and these prophets binded all their messages into holy books like the Bible and the Quran. But their corrupted leaders took their religion, making it as their own, and use them for their agendas. That is where politics step in, and hence explains the root causes behind the bloodshed due to religion. 

Same goes to science. While you are fascinated with guns, keep in note that the G36Ks, the M4A1 carbines, the F-35 Lightnings, the M1A1 Abrams and the all time feared nuclear warheads are signs that we are not civilized yet. Obviously, science is about human development to the max, but why are we killing like that? If you're talking about religion mindset manipulating science, then tell me why the electric chair is invented? 

"My country is the world, my religion is to do good." 
- Thomas Paine

At the end of the day, it's all about interpretations, and the human mindset as a whole. Science and religion have to collaborate as both help humanity a lot. One helps on morality and philosophy, while another one helps to develop technology for the good of mankind. Why the quarrelings and pointless battles? Why not just focus them to improve humanity? Those who are under poverty are seeking your help, praying every single day for the world to change. 

PS - On the argument that religion does not help on morality, to the blogger who advocated that point - I wanted to say, even if you are brought up through familial values, what inspires those values? The society, isn't it? If you're living in China, most likely you will indirectly got brought up with the Chinese traditions or the teachings of Buddha. If you're from a Christian dominated area, though your parents are atheists, indirectly you were told about the 10 Commandments and some other values found in most religions. 

Stop hate and disposition and do realize that we are now in the age of developing social conciousness, where people are beginning to question the social system we're living in.

Forget the crap about Darwin and his ideas on evolution that generates social stratification and remember that science has the power to change the world and its rules. Meanwhile, as for religion, don't just preach it, practice it as a whole for the sake of humanity. 



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: